MORGANTOWN, W. Va.—Members of the WVU Law Class of 2022 have begun their legal careers, and the women outnumber the men.
There are 116 students in the WVU Law Class of 2022, which is an enrollment increase of almost 4.5% over last year. Women make up a majority of the class at 53%, which is the highest rate at the college in at least a decade.
The academic credentials of the incoming class are also higher than last year. The median LSAT score for the Class of 2022 is 154 and the median undergraduate GPA is 3.46. Eight percent of the class self-identify as a minority and the average age is 25, with an age range of 21 to 55. Almost one-third of the class is a first-generation college student
“This kind of growth is a positive sign for WVU, legal education and the profession,” said Gregory Bowman , dean of the College of Law. “We welcome the class of 2022 to Law School Hill and look forward to the privilege of preparing them for a fulfilling and rewarding career in the law.”
Out-of-state students comprise 43% of the WVU Law Class of 2022, an increase from 35% last year. These students come from 17 states: Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, North Carolina, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
The WVU Law Class of 2022 attended 50 undergraduate institutions. Some of the out-of-state schools represented are Arizona State, Belmont University, Boston University, Colorado State University, East Carolina University, Eastern Michigan University, Florida State University, James Madison University, Ohio State University, Salem College, the University of Nevada-Reno, the University of Virginia, and Washington & Jefferson College.
In-state colleges and universities attended by the WVU Law Class of 2022 are Bethany, Bluefield State, Fairmont State, Glenville State, Marshall, West Liberty, West Virginia State, West Virginia Wesleyan, and WVU.
Members of the WVU Law Class of 2022 bring with them diverse and unique experiences:
- 12 speak a foreign language, including Italian, Urdu/Hindi, and Mandarin Chinese.
- Two are former interns for professional sports teams (New Orleans Saints and Chicago Cubs).
- Five are Eagle Scouts and one is a scoutmaster.
- One earned the Girl Scouts of America Silver Award for community improvement.
- Several are former Disney College Program Interns.
- Almost half were on their undergraduate Dean’s/President’s/Provost’s/Chancellor’s list
- Many have already worked at legal offices and government agencies.
- Several have already earned a graduate degree.