WVU Law PIA Summer Fellow Madison Carroll.
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — Every summer, a group of law students from West Virginia University spread out across the state to help those in need.
These Public Interest Advocates Summer Fellows work in local organizations that provide legal services to low-income clients, the elderly, children, victims of domestic violence, veterans and others.
“It has been a very rewarding summer for our PIA Fellows, as they get hands-on experience while providing important support and staffing in various public interest law offices,” said Dan Kimble, director of the Center for Law and Public Service at the WVU College of Law. “In many cases, these experiences have launched our students to careers in public interest law or led them to provide pro bono legal services as they grow into the legal profession.”
PIA Summer Fellowships are full-time, paid 10-week appointments sponsored by the non-profit West Virginia Fund for Law in the Public Interest. PIA, one of the most active student organizations at WVU Law, is a fundraiser for WVFLIPI.
Rising 3L Madison Carroll is a two-time PIA Summer Fellow at Legal Aid of West Virginia in Wheeling. She has Rule 10 certification, allowing her to represent clients in court under supervision.
“I have always been drawn toward public interest work because I want to protect and give back to my community,” she said. “This type of work is rewarding because you can see the impact your efforts made on a client's life. By representing a wide variety of people, we create a fairer and more equitable justice system.”
The 2022 PIA Summer Fellows are:
- Samantha Barney - Legal Aid of West Virginia, Wheeling.
- Rosa Beyk - American Civil Liberties Union of West Virginia (remote).
- Madison Carroll - Legal Aid of West Virginia, Wheeling.
- Hannah Hebe - Disability Rights of West Virginia, Charleston.
- Olivia Lee - ChildLaw Services, Charleston.
- Kenny May - Legal Aid of West Virginia, Martinsburg.
- Katie McCauley - West Virginia Senior Legal Aid, Morgantown.
- Katie McClung - Disability Rights of West Virginia, Clarksburg.
- Charlotte Murphy - Legal Aid of West Virginia, Clarksburg.
- Emily Ogden - Legal Aid of West Virginia, Morgantown.
- Tre Tarantini - Legal Aid of West Virginia, Clarksburg.
- Branden Wasson - ChildLaw Services, Princeton.
- Anna Williams - Mountain State Justice, Charleston.
(Photos provided by the students.)