Bowles Rice Professor of Law
- A.B., Ohio State University, 1963
- J.D., Ohio State University, 1967
- LL.M., Harvard University, 1971
- Professor of the Year, 2012, 2019
- WVU Foundation Award for Outstanding Teaching, 1992, 2020
Vincent Paul Cardi, a professor at West Virginia University since 1967, has taught Contracts I and II, Sales, UCC Article 2, Secured Transactions, Federal Bankruptcy, Law of Creditors and Debtors, Drafting Legal Documents in Commercial and Business Transactions, and Environmental Law. He also taught International Law, serving as the faculty advisor to the law school’s Jessup Cup team, which won the national and international competition defeating Brunel University (United Kingdom) to become World Champion in 1973.
He has been a visiting law professor at Wake Forest University, Ohio State University, Mercer University, Saint John’s University and St. Thomas University. He was also a research fellow at Oxford University in England and a legal writing instructor at Boston University.
Professor Cardi is the Bowles Rice Professor of Law at West Virginia University College of Law. He has been selected Professor of the Year by the WVU College of Law graduating class in 2012 and 2019. He was awarded the university-wide WVU Foundation Outstanding Teacher Award in 1992 and 2020.
He chairs the West Virginia State Commission on Uniform State Laws and is a Commissioner on the nationwide Uniform Law Commission. Among his recent work on the Uniform Law Commission, he proposed that the Commission draft a statute creating civil remedies for victims of unauthorized publication of intimate images, commonly known as "revenge pornography". As a result, the Uniform Law Commission established a committee to study and then draft the statute. Appointed Chair of both the Study and Drafting Committees, Professor Cardi directed the drafting of the Uniform Civil Remedies for Unauthorized Disclosure of Intimate Images Act, which was completed in the summer of 2018, approved as a Uniform Act by the Uniform Law Commission in July 2018 and by the American Bar Association in February 2019.
He is an elected member of the American Law Institute, past President of the Southeastern Association of Law Schools, former board member and President of Legal Aid of West Virginia, former Commissioner on the West Virginia State Election Commission, a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review Advisory Board, a member of the West Virginia Law Institute Governing Council, and served many years as the West Virginia University Faculty Senate Parliamentarian.
Professor Cardi earned his undergraduate degree in History and Juris Doctorate from Ohio State University and his LLM from Harvard University.
Publications, Research, and Intellectual Contributions
- Five Decades of Article 9 in West Virginia. West Virginia Law Review. (in press)
- Cardi, Litigation as Violence, 49 WAKE FOREST L. REV. 677 (2014).
- Cardi, Promissory Estoppel in the 21st Century: Examining a Slice of Cases for Patterns of Determining Liability on Promissory Estoppel and Determining Remedies for Non-Performance, REMEDIES AND ECONOMICS, Presses Universitaires d’Aix-Marseille-PUAM (2010).
- Compendium of State Certificate of Title Laws, American Bar Association, (Contributor) (2009)
- Bamberger & Jacobson, State Limited Liability Company Acts, Aspen Publishing Co. (Contributor)
- Cardi, Preserving Existing Security Interests Under Revised Article 9 of The Uniform Commercial Code: A Concise Summary of The Transition Rules and Some Recommendations for Secured Parties, 103 W.VA. L REV. 288 (2001).
- Faculty, West Virginia University College of Law (1967 - present)
- Visiting Professor, Wake Forest University School of Law (2014)
- Visiting Professor, Ohio State University College of Law (2010-2011)
- Visiting Professor, Mercer University Law School (2005)
- Visiting Professor, St. Thomas University School of Law (1995)
- Visiting Professor, St. John’s University School of Law (1994)
- Adjunct Professor, College of Engineering, Charleston College of Graduate Studies
- Research Fellow, Oxford University
- Legal Research and Writing Instructor, Boston University School of Law
- West Virginia University Foundation Award for Outstanding Teaching
- Contracts I and II
- Sales, UCC Article 2
- Secured Transactions, UCC Article 9
- Federal Bankruptcy
- Law of Creditors and Debtors
- Drafting Legal Documents in Commercial and Business Transactions
- Seminars in:
– Commercial Law
– Legal Problems of Engineers, Architects and Contractors
– Statutes of Limitation
- Member, American Law Institute
- Commissioner, West Virginia State Election Commission (2013-present)
- Commissioner, West Virginia Commission on Uniform State Laws (2003-present)
- Commissioner, Uniform Law Commission
– Legislative Liaison (2003-present)
– Study Committee for Computer Database Retrieval System for Land Records
– Drafting Committee for Amendments to Uniform Voidable Transactions Act
– Drafting Committee for Certificate of Title Act for Vessels
– Study Committee on Notice and Repair of Construction Defects
– Study Committee on the Regulation of Medical Examiners
– Chairperson, Study Committee on Involuntary Pornography (2015-2016)
– Chair, Uniform Civil Remedies for Unauthorized Disclosure of Intimate Images Act (2016-present)
- Southeastern Association of Law Schools Board of Trustees
– Steering Committee
– Program Committee
- West Virginia Law Institute Governing Council
- American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review Advisory Board
- West Virginia University Faculty Senate Parliamentarian
- Legal Aid of West Virginia Board of Directors
– West Virginia Legal Services Plan
– Board of Directors
- Ohio River Basin Energy Study