Lecturer in Law
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2005
- B.A., Carnegie Mellon University, 2001
Amy Beth Cyphert is a Lecturer in Law at the West Virginia University College of Law and also the Director of the ASPIRE Office, which assists students who are applying for nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships. Cyphert is a Morgantown native and a 2001 graduate of Carnegie Mellon University, where she was awarded a Truman Scholarship. Cyphert graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School in 2005, and went on to clerk for the Honorable Laura Taylor Swain in the Southern District of New York. Prior to joining WVU, Cyphert was a senior litigation associate with WilmerHale in New York City, where she focused on complex commercial litigation as well as first amendment pro bono matters.
Cyphert's research focuses on varying areas, including education law, creating change for children in vulnerable situations, and algorithmic decision making in schools and the criminal justice system.
Reprogramming Recidivism: The First Step Act and Algorithmic Prediction of Risk, 51 Seton Hall L. Rev. 331 (2020)
Tinkering with Machine Learning: The Legality and Consequences of Online Surveillance
of Students, 20 Nev. L.J. 457
The Devil is in the Details: Exploring Restorative Justice as an Option for
Campus Sexual Assault Responses Under Title IX, 96 Denver L. Rev. 51
Objectively Offensive: The Problem of Applying Title IX to Very Young Students,
51 Fam. L. Q. 325 (2018)
- Prisoners of Fate: The Challenges of Creating Change for Children of Incarcerated Parents , 77 Md. L. Rev. 385 (2018).
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Preschool Suspension and Expulsion Rates, 82 Tenn. L. Rev. 893 (2015).
Cyphert teaches Appellate Advocacy and Professional Responsibility at the College of Law, and has also taught many courses to undergraduates at WVU, including Philosophy of Law, Law and Leadership, History of the Warren Court, and The Supreme Court Today.
- Director, ASPIRE, WVU, 2010-present
- Senior Litigation Associate, WilmerHale, 2007-2010
- Law Clerk, Hon. Laura Taylor Swain, SDNY, 2005-2007