James H. “Buck” and June M. Harless Professor of Law Emeritus
B.B.A., University of Iowa, 1969
J.D., University of Iowa, 1972
-Graduated with high distinction
-Member, Order of the Coif
-Staff, Iowa Law Review
Gerry Ashdown graduated from the University of Iowa College of Law in 1972. After a brief time in practice with the Los Angeles law firm of Adams, Duque & Hazeltine, he returned to the University of Iowa College of Law to teach for a year before joining the University of Kentucky law faculty. He became a member of the law faculty at the West Virginia University College of Law in 1979. He served as Associate Dean from 1984-1986, and was appointed the James H. “Buck” and June M. Harless Professor of Law in 2001.
Professor Ashdown is the long-time co-author of Criminal Law Cases and Comments (University Casebook Series, Foundation Press). The ninth edition of this widely-used law text was published in June 2013.
- The Blueing of America: The Bridge Between the War on Drugs and the War on Terrorism , 67 University of Pittsburgh Law Review 753 (2006).
- Journalism Police, 89 Marquette Law Review 739 (2006).
- Marshall, Marbury, and Mr. Byrd: America Unchecked and Imbalanced, (reviewing Losing America by Senator Robert C. Byrd), 108 West Virginia Law Review 691 (2006).
- The Convenience of the Guillotine: Video Proceedings in Federal Prosecutions, (with Michael A. Menzel), 80 Den. U. L. Rev. 63-109 (2002).
- Criminal Law Cases and Comments, Moenssens, Bacigal, Ashdown & Hench, Foundation Press, 7th ed. 2003.
- Instructor’s Manual, Criminal Law—Cases and Comments, Moenssens, Bacigal, Ashdown & Hench, Foundation Press, 7th ed. 2003.
- The Convenience of the Guillotine: Video Proceeding in Federal Prosecution, 80 Den. U. L. Rev. 63 (2002) (with Michael A. Menzel)
- Criminal Law Cases and Comments, _Moenssens, Bacigal, Ashdown & Inbau, Foundation Press, 6th Ed. 1998.
- “Federalism, Federalization, and the Politics of Crime,” 98 W. Va. L. Rev. 789-813 (1996)
- “Introduction: Macro and Micro Evaluation of the Federalization of Crime,”98 W. Va. L. Rev. 757-59 (1996)
- “Whither the Press: The Fourth Estate and Journalism of Blame,” 3 Wm. & Mary Bill of Rights J. 681-703 (1994)
- “Drugs, Ideology, and the Deconstitutionalization of Criminal Procedure,”95 W. Va. L. Rev. 1-54 (1992)
- James H. “Buck” and June M. Harless Professor of Law (2001-)
- Faculty, West Virginia University College of Law (1979-present)
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, West Virginia University College of Law (1984-1986)
- Assistant Professor of Law, University of Kentucky (1974-79)
- Instructor, University of Iowa (1972-73)
- Draftsman and Consultant, West Virginia Criminal Code Revision
- Reporter, ABA Criminal Justice Standards’ Project on the Special Functions of the Trial Judge
- Adams, Duque & Hazeltine, Los Angeles, California
- Federal Criminal Appeals
- Reporter, ABA Criminal Justice Standards’ Project
- County Planning Commission