Teaching Associate Professor
Director of the Academic Excellence Center
- B.S., University of Pittsburgh, 2003
- J.D., Duquesne University School of Law, 2006
Kirsha Weyandt Trychta provides academic support to law students, teaches in the criminal law and evidence curriculum, and coaches intercollegiate advocacy teams. In addition to her teaching responsibilities, Professor Trychta actively serves in leadership roles on several professional organizations, including the Association of American Law Schools Section on Academic Support (AALS) and the Association of Academic Support Educators (AASE).
Prior to moving to West Virginia, she worked for several years as a legal writing professor, a clinical law professor, and academic support professor in Pittsburgh. Before becoming a professor, she served as assistant chief counsel at the Allegheny County Office of Conflict Counsel where she represented indigent criminal defendants as a court-appointed defense attorney. Professor Trychta also worked briefly as a prosecutor and served as a judicial law clerk. Professor Trychta is licensed to practice law in both Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
She received her Juris Doctor degree from Duquesne University School of Law. While enrolled at Duquesne, she assisted on several faculty publications and earned the Carol Los Mansmann Award for Excellence in Appellate Advocacy. In addition to writing, she competed nationally in three trial advocacy competitions. Professor Trychta graduated magnum cum laude from the University of Pittsburgh with a Bachelor of Science degree in honors psychology. Concurrent with the honors designation, she received the Chancellor’s Undergraduate Research Fellowship for her work with liver cancer patients. She also obtained a Certification in Latin American Studies following an intensive language immersion program in Mexico.
Duquesne University School of Law
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Legal Skills & Director of Academic Excellence, 2013-2015
- Adjunct Professor of Legal Research & Writing, 2009-2013
- Adjunct Professor (and Attorney Supervisor) of the Criminal Defense Externship, 2008-2013
- Allegheny County Office of Conflict Counsel: Assistant Chief Counsel, 2008-2013
- Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office: Assistant District Attorney, 2007-2008
- Court of Common Pleas of Somerset County: Judicial Law Clerk, 2006-2007