Assistant Dean for Student Services and Engagement
Jennifer Powell has served previously as the Director of the Center for Law in Public Service (2013-2021) and Assistant Dean for Career Services (2004-2013). Ms. Powell is a member of the West Virginia State Bar and is a licensed graduate social worker (LGSW) in West Virginia. She earned her J.D. from the West Virginia University College of Law in 1997, her M.S.W. from West Virginia University in 1992, and her B.A. in English from West Virginia University in 1988. Prior to working at the College of Law, Ms. Powell worked as an Application Consultant for LexisNexis, served as a prevention educator and community fundraiser for Caritas House (a local HIV/AIDS service organization) and practiced law with Regina Charon’s Law Offices.
- B.A., English, WVU, 1988
- M.S.W., Social Work, WVU, 1992
- J.D., WVU , 1997
Areas of Expertise
Career counseling and planning, public interest careers, non-profit organization and fundraising, community service, professional development and impairment (burnout, resilience, wellbeing)
- Executive Director, West Virginia Fund for Law in the Public Interest, Morgantown, West Virginia, March 2013 to 2021.
- Member, Board of Directors, Shack Neighborhood House, Pursglove, WV, 2018-present; Vice President, 2020 to present.
- Member, Board of Directors, United Way of Monongalia and Preston Counties, 2020 to present.
- Volunteer, Empty Bowls Monongalia, 2013 to present
- Commissioner, West Virginia Access to Justice Commission, 2017 to present; Co-chair of Access to Services subcommittee, 2020 to present
- Member, West Virginia State Bar Legal Outreach committee, 2018 to 2021.
- Member, West Virginia State Bar IOLTA distribution committee, 2019 to present; coordinator, special grantees, IOLTA committee, 2019 to present
- Member, WVU College of Law, Enrollment Management Committee, 2015-2021.
- Member, WVU College of Law Diversity and Inclusion Committee, 2016-2021.
- Member, WVU College of Law Service Committee, 2019-2020
- Member, National Advisory Committee, Equal Justice Works, 2015-16
- Member, West Virginia Bar Member, American Bar Association (ABA)
- Member, Monongalia County Bar Association
- Member, National Association for Law Placement (NALP)