Teaching Associate Professor and Director, Land Use and Sustainability Law Clinic
- LL.M., Vermont Law School, 2010, cum laude, Environmental Law
- J.D., University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, 2004
- B.S., Webster University, 2000, Business Management
Katherine “Kat” Garvey began her career at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region VII in the National Agricultural Compliance Assistance Center and with the Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics. Garvey is an ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems Certified Lead Auditor. She developed and audited environmental management systems for military and large agricultural operations.
Garvey transitioned from federal to local government in 2006, when she worked for the City of Lee’s Summit, Missouri as the Environmental Coordinator. She helped the City comply with permitting requirements for their airport and landfill. In addition, she helped the City develop a solid waste management plan, stormwater plan, stream buffer ordinance, and a natural resource inventory map. She continued her focus on local protection of natural resources as an Assistant Professor of Law and Staff Attorney at the Land Use Clinic at Vermont L aw School.
In Vermont, Garvey worked with local governments, land trusts and other non-profits to address legal questions related to land conservation in the Northeast. Professor Garvey received her JD from the University of Missouri in Kansas City in 2004, and LL.M. from Vermont Law in 2010.
- Investing in Green Infrastructure for Source Water Protection, Chapter 1, World Resources Institute (forthcoming).
- Legal Consequences of Adopting New Floodplain Maps in New Hampshire, 43 Envtl. L. Rptr. 10564 (2013).
- Local Protection of Natural Resources after Jam Golf: Standards and Standard of Review, 11 Vt. J. Envtl. L. 145 (2009).
- Vermont Law School, South Royalton, VT – Assistant Professor
- Staff Attorney and Assistant Professor of Law, Vermont Law School, Land Use Clinic, 2010-2012
- Land Use Fellow, Vermont Law School, Land Use Institute, 2007- 2010
- Environmental Coordinator, City of Lee’s Summit, Missouri, Department of Public Works, 2006 – 2007
- Law Clerk & Environmental Specialist, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region VII, Office of General Counsel, Air, RCRA, Toxics Division and EPA’s National Agriculture Compliance Assistance Center 2003 – 2006