Associate Professor of Law and Policy
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 2006
- M.Phil., University of Cambridge, 2003
- B.A., West Virginia University, 2001
- Faculty Scholarship Award, 2018
- WVU Foundation Outstanding Teaching Award, 2017
- Law Professor of the Year, 2016
Joshua Weishart holds a joint appointment at the College of Law and the John D. Rockefeller IV School of Policy and Politics. His research is centered on education law and policy, particularly on the demands of educational equality and adequacy under the constitutional right to education. Weishart’s scholarship has been published in leading academic law journals, including the Stanford Law Review, Alabama Law Review, and the William & Mary Law Review. As part of his appointment in the Rockefeller School, he conducts policy research for the West Virginia Public Education Collaborative and administers the WV ED Law Blog.
Before joining the law faculty in 2012, Weishart was an associate at Severson & Werson, P.C. in San Francisco specializing in financial service litigation on a variety of consumer-related matters, including complex, nationwide class actions and appeals. He then served as a law clerk to the Honorable Robert B. King of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
A Truman Scholar, Weishart earned a B.A. from West Virginia University, an M.Phil from the University of Cambridge (England), and a J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law.
Publications, Research, and Intellectual Contributions
Protecting a Federal Right to Educational Equality and Adequacy in Thoughts on a Federal Right to Education (Kimberly Jenkins Robinson, ed., NYU Press, forthcoming)
The Compromised Right to Education? , 71 Stanford Law Review Online 123 (2018)
Aligning Education Rights and Remedies , 27 Kansas J. L. & Pol’y 346 (2018)
- Equal Liberty in Proportion , 59 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 215 (2017)
- Reconstituting the Right to Education , 67 Ala L. Rev. 915 (2016)
- Justice Scalia's Terribly Few Words on Education Rights, Oxford Human Rights HUB Blog. (2016)
- Transcending Equality Versus Adequacy , 66 Stan. L. Rev. 477 (2014)
- Law Clerk, Hon. Robert B. King, 2011-2012
- Associate, Severson & Werson, P.C., 2006-2011