Associate Professor of Law and Public Health
Director of the Veterans Advocacy Clinic
Awards and Achievements
- Bellow Scholar, AALS Section on Clinical Legal Education Committee on Lawyering in the Public Interest (2017-2019)
- Public Interest Law Scholar, Georgetown University Law Center (2001-2004)
- Rhodes Scholar (1996)
- Truman Scholar (1995)
- JD, Georgetown University, Washington, DC (2004)
- MBA, University of Oxford, Oxford, England, UK (1998)
- BS, United States Military Academy, West Point, NY (1996)
- Board Member, American Civil Liberties Union of West Virginia (ACLU-WV)
- Member, United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia (Clarksburg) Drug Court Treatment Team
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Member, West Virginia University Rhodes Scholar Selection Committee
- Member, West Virginia University Truman Scholar Selection Committee
- Member, West Virginia University Veterans Committee
- Member, National Organization of Veterans Advocates (NOVA)
- Member, Appalachian Studies Association (ASA)
- Chair, National Law School Veterans Clinic Consortium (NLSVCC) VA and VSO Committee
- Co-Chair, AALS Section on Clinical Legal Education Interdisciplinary Subcommittee
- Member, AALS Section on Clinical Legal Education Committee on Lawyering in the Public Interest (“Bellow Scholars Committee”)
- Member, West Virginia Bar Association Veterans and Military Affairs Committee
- Member, West Virginia University College of Law Appalachian Justice Initiative (AJI)
Jennifer D. Oliva is an Associate Professor at West Virginia University in the College of Law and School of Public Health. In the College of Law, she teaches evidence and public health law courses and directs the WVU Veterans Advocacy Clinic, which represents West Virginia veterans in litigation before administrative agencies and courts, on benefits, discharge upgrades, employment claims and other civil and criminal matters. An honors graduate of Georgetown University Law Center, Professor Oliva was a Public Interest Law Scholar and served as Executive Notes & Comments Editor of The Georgetown Law Journal. Prior to attending Georgetown University Law Center, Professor Oliva earned a Masters in Business Administration at Balliol College, Oxford University. She was elected as a Rhodes and Truman Scholar while a cadet at the United States Military Academy at West Point. Subsequent to attending law school, Professor Oliva served as a federal appellate law clerk to the Honorable Stephanie K. Seymour on the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and the Honorable Thomas L. Ambro on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Professor Oliva is United States Army veteran and admitted to the bar in Delaware, California, the District of Columbia, and West Virginia. She also is admitted to numerous United States district and appellate courts, including the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims and the United States Supreme Court. Professor Oliva's professional memberships include the American Bar Association (ABA), American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics (ASLME), National Organization of Veterans Advocates (NOVA), and National Law School Veterans Clinic Consortium (NLSVCC). Her work has been published by the Northwestern Law Review, The Conversation, the Oxford Human Rights Hub, and the Appalachian Justice Initiative.
- Son of Sam, Service-Connected Entitlements, and Disabled Veteran Prisoners, 25 Geo. Mason L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2018).
- Discovering Forensic Fraud, 112 Northwestern L. Rev. 124 (2017) (with Valena Beety).
- U.S. Senate Unveils Health Care Bill Designed to Dismantle the ACA , Oxford Human Rights Hub (Jun. 29, 2017).
- How an ACA Repeal Would Devastate Appalachia , Oxford Human Rights Hub (Mar. 29, 2017).
- Developing a Cross-Clinical Re-Entry Project , 24 Clinical Legal Education Association Newsletter 7 (Winter 2016-2017) (with Valena Beety).
- Justice Scalia’s Repudiation of Women’s Health and Reproductive Rights , Oxford Human Rights Hub (Mar. 17, 2016).
- Will States Have Time to React if the Supreme Court Rules Against the Government in ACA Case? The Conversation (Jul. 24, 2015).
- Congress Reintroduces Legislation to Curb Antibiotic Resistant Organisms , Healio.com (May 20, 2014).
- Clinical Professor of Law & Director, Legislative/Regulatory Advocacy Clinic; The Pennsylvania State University–Dickinson School of Law (2015-2016)
- Visiting Professor, University of Colorado Law School (2015)
- Instructor, United States Military Academy, Department of Social Sciences (2010 – 2011)
- Clinical Professor of Law, Penn State Dickinson School of Law, Carlisle, PA
- Visiting Professor of Law, University of Colorado School of Law, Boulder, CO
- Attorney, Arnold & Porter, LLP, FDA and Healthcare Practice Group
- Of Counsel, Manion Gaynor & Manning LLP, Complex Civil Litigation
- Deputy State Solicitor, Delaware Department of Justice
- Chief of Staff to Attorney General Beau Biden, Delaware Department of Justice
- Associate, Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Appellate Practice Group
- Federal Appellate Law Clerk to the Honorable Thomas L. Ambro, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Federal Appellate Law Clerk to the Honorable Stephanie K. Seymour, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit