Associate Professor of Law and Public Health
Director of the Veterans Advocacy Clinic
Awards and Achievements
- WVU College of Law Professor of the Year (2017-2018)
- West Virginia Law Review Professor of the Year (2017-2018)
- Bellow Scholar, AALS Committee on Lawyering in the Public Interest (2017-2019)
- Public Interest Law Scholar, Georgetown University Law Center (2001-2004)
- Rhodes Scholar (1996)
- Truman Scholar (1995)
- JD, Georgetown University, Washington, DC (2004)
- MBA, University of Oxford, Oxford, England, UK (1998)
- BS, United States Military Academy, West Point, NY (1996)
- Board Member, American Civil Liberties Union of West Virginia (ACLU-WV)
- Member, United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia (Clarksburg) Drug Court Treatment Team
- Member, West Virginia Women’s Leadership Initiative (WLI)
- Member, West Virginia University Rhodes Scholar Selection Committee
- Member, West Virginia University Truman Scholar Selection Committee
- Member, West Virginia University Veterans Committee
- Chair, National Law School Veterans Clinic Consortium (NLSVCC) VA and VSO Committee
- Co-Chair, AALS Section on Clinical Legal Education Interdisciplinary Subcommittee
- Member, AALS Section on Clinical Legal Education Committee on Lawyering in the Public Interest (Bellow Scholars Committee)
- Member, West Virginia Bar Association Veterans and Military Affairs Committee
- Member, West Virginia University College of Law Appalachian Justice Initiative (AJI)
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Member, American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics (ASLME)
- Member, National Organization of Veterans Advocates (NOVA)
- Member, Appalachian Studies Association (ASA)
Jennifer D. Oliva is an Associate Professor at West Virginia University in the College of Law and School of Public Health. In the College of Law, she teaches torts, evidence, and public health law courses and directs the WVU Veterans Advocacy Clinic. An honors graduate of Georgetown University Law Center, Professor Oliva was a Public Interest Law Scholar and served as Executive Notes & Comments Editor of The Georgetown Law Journal. Prior to attending Georgetown, Professor Oliva earned a Masters in Business Administration at Balliol College, Oxford University. She was elected as a Rhodes and Truman Scholar while a cadet at the United States Military Academy at West Point. Subsequent to attending law school, Professor Oliva served as a federal appellate law clerk to the Honorable Stephanie K. Seymour on the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and the Honorable Thomas L. Ambro on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Thereafter, she was appointed Deputy State Solicitor of the State of Delaware by then-Attorney General Beau Biden. Professor Oliva has worked in the appellate, white collar crime, and health/FDA law practice groups at national law firms, served as National Discovery Counsel to the Boeing Corporation, and served as the General Counsel and Vice President of a regional behavioral health care company. She is United States Army veteran and admitted to the bar in Delaware, California, the District of Columbia, and West Virginia. She also is admitted to numerous United States district and appellate courts, including the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. Professor Oliva's professional memberships include, among other things, the American Association of Law Schools (AALS), American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics (ASLME), American Public Health Association (APHA), The George Consortium, and the National Organization of Veterans Advocates (NOVA). Her work has been published by or is forthcoming in the Northwestern Law Review, the North Carolina Law Review, the George Mason Law Review, the West Virginia Law Review, The Conversation, and the Oxford Human Rights Hub.
Publications, Research, and Intellectual Contributions
- Prescription Drug Cartels: Manufacturer and Distributor Liability in the Opioid MDL Litigation, ___ Ohio St. L. J. ___ (forthcoming 2019) (invited symposium contribution).
- Evidence on Fire, 97 North Carolina L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2019) (with Valena Beety), cited and discussed in Andrew W. Jurs, Expert Evidence (Carolina Academic Press 2019), featured on Excited Utterance: The Evidence and Proof Podcast, Episode __ (forthcoming Fall 2018).
- Son of Sam, Service-Connected Entitlements, and Disabled Veteran Prisoners, 25 Geo. Mason L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2018).
- Discovering Forensic Fraud, 112 Northwestern L. Rev. 124 (2017) (with Valena Beety), reprinted in The Wrongful Convictions Reader (Carolina Academic Press 2018), featured on Excited Utterance: The Evidence and Proof Podcast, Episode 32 (Sept. 10, 2017), https://www.excitedutterancepodcast.com/listen/2017/9/11/32-jennifer-oliva
- Foreword to the West Virginia Law Review Appalachian Justice Symposium, 120 W. Va. L. Rev. 757 (2018) (symposium organizer).
- U.S. Senate Unveils Health Care Bill Designed to Dismantle the ACA , Oxford Human Rights Hub (Jun. 29, 2017).
- How an ACA Repeal Would Devastate Appalachia , Oxford Human Rights Hub (Mar. 29, 2017).
- Justice Scalia’s Repudiation of Women’s Health and Reproductive Rights , Oxford Human Rights Hub (Mar. 17, 2016).
- Will States Have Time to React if the Supreme Court Rules Against the Government in ACA Case? The Conversation (Jul. 24, 2015).
- Congress Reintroduces Legislation to Curb Antibiotic Resistant Organisms , Healio.com (May 20, 2014).
- Visiting Research Scholar, Harvard Law School, The Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics (Spring 2019)
- Clinical Professor of Law & Director, Legislative/Regulatory Advocacy Clinic; The Pennsylvania State University–Dickinson School of Law (2015-2016)
- Visiting Professor, University of Colorado Law School (2015)
- Instructor, United States Military Academy, Department of Social Sciences (2010 – 2011)
- Clinical Professor of Law, Penn State Dickinson School of Law, Carlisle, PA
- Visiting Professor of Law, University of Colorado School of Law, Boulder, CO
- Attorney, Arnold & Porter, LLP, FDA and Healthcare Practice Group
- Of Counsel, Manion Gaynor & Manning LLP, Complex Civil Litigation
- Deputy State Solicitor, Delaware Department of Justice
- Chief of Staff to Attorney General Beau Biden, Delaware Department of Justice
- Associate, Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Appellate Practice Group
- Federal Appellate Law Clerk to the Honorable Thomas L. Ambro, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Federal Appellate Law Clerk to the Honorable Stephanie K. Seymour, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit