Professor of LawLead Land Use Attorney
- J.D., University of Virginia, 1992
- M.S., Agricultural and Applied Economics, Virginia Tech, 1996
- B.S., Agricultural Economics, Virginia Tech, 1984
Before coming to WVU, Richardson was an Associate Professor in Urban Affairs and Planning at Virginia Tech, teaching land use law, environmental law, urban growth management and real estate. His research and experience focus on land use law and water law. Prior to his academic endeavors, Richardson was in private practice in his hometown of Winchester, Virginia, first with a large law firm, then as a solo practitioner.
He has served on the Boards of Directors of the American Agricultural Law Association, the Universities Council on Water Resources, and the National Cave and Karst Research Institute. He also previously served on the Virginia Farmland Protection Task Force and the Virginia Water Policy Technical Advisory Committee.
Richardson was honored with the 1999 Professional Scholarship Award from the American Agricultural Law Association (AALA), the 2004 William E. Wine Award for a history of teaching excellence from Virginia Tech (the highest teaching award granted by the university), the 2009 University Certificate of Excellence in Outreach,and the AALA Excellence in Agricultural Law for Academia Award in 2018. He has worked with communities in West Virginia and Virginia on land use planning issues, including issues related to karst and water resources.
Publications, Research and Intellectual Contributions
- Richardson, Jr., J.J., Lashmet, T.D., Squires, G. (forthcoming 2021), Turtles All the Way Down: A Clearer Understanding of the Scope of Waters of the United States Based on the United States Supreme Court Decisions, William & Mary J. Law & Environmental Policy, Vol. 46.
- Righetti, T., Richardson, Jr., J.J., Koski, K, Taylor, S. (forthcoming 2021), The Carbon Storage Future of Public Lands, Pace Journal of Environmental Law.
- Richardson, Jr., J.J. (2021), The national flood insurance program as an incentive to employ multiple regulatory approaches to manage floodplains: Lessons learned from Pennsylvania, Vermont and West Virginia, Environmental Science and Policy, 115:8-15.
- Kris Koski, Jesse Richardson, Tara Righetti, & Sam Taylor, UNITED STATES ENERGY ASSOCIATION, Study on State's Policies & Regulations per CO2-EOR Storage Conventional, ROZ and EOR in Shale: Permitting, Infrastructure, Incentives, Royalty Owners, Eminent Domain, Mineral-Pore Space, and Storage Lease Issues (2020)..
- Richardson, Jr., J.J. (2020). Regulation of Large Dairy Farms in Karst Regions of the United States. Proceedings of the 16th International Sinkhole Conference. Carlsbad, New Mexico: National Cave and Karst Research Institute..
- Richardson, J. J. (2018). Karst, Scientific Uncertainty and the Law.
Proceedings of the 15th International Sinkhole Conference. Carlsbad, New
Mexico: National Cave and Karst Research Institute.
- Swauger, C., Anderson, J. B., Richardson, J. J. (2018). Fighting the Opioid Epidemic:
Comprehensive Planning by Local Governments in West Virginia.
Municipal Lawyer, 59(4), 12-15, 30-33.
- Richardson, J. J. (2017). Post-Colonial Evolution of Water Rights in India and
the United States. In S. Pellissery, H. Jacobs, & B. Davy (Eds.),
Land Policies in India. Springer International.
- Richardson, J. J. (2017). Formal Instruments to Address Environmental Change and
Property Rights. In J. Sheehan, F. van Der Straalen, & T. Hartmann (Eds.),
Property Rights and Climate Change: Land-Use Under Changing Environmental Conditions.
- Richardson, J. J. (2017). The Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act: Treating
Symptoms and Not the Cause? (vol. 45, pp. 507-574).
Real Estate Law Journal.
- West Virginia University, Professor of Law, August 2017 to present
- West Virginia University, Associate Professor: August 2014 to August 2017
- West Virginia University, Lead Land Use Attorney: July 2012 to present
- Virginia Tech, Associate Professor, Urban Affairs and Planning; August 2004 to August 2014
- Virginia Tech, Assistant Professor, Department of Urban Affairs and Planning; August 10, 1998 to August 2004
- Virginia Tech, Program Chair, June 1, 2007-July 30, 2008