WVU Law is proud to earn recognition in top law school rankings. We value these distinctions as further confirmation of our dedicated mission to be the best for our students.
Our goal is to be a top choice as an affordable law school, offering excellent law programs, leading to law degrees valued by employers in West Virginia and nationwide. Thousands of our successful graduates go on to careers to serve the public, government, and business—locally and globally—with a strong commitment to justice, ethics, professionalism, and service.
Accredited and nationally ranked, WVU Law is West Virginia University’s first professional school, established in 1878. The West Virginia Law Review is the fourth oldest in the country, founded in 1894.
Our recent accolades include the following:
- Best Law School for Environmental Law — preLaw Magazine (2018)
#2 Law School for Greatest Community Impact — National Jurist (2017)
#6 Public Interest Law School — preLaw Magazine (2017)
- Top 50 Best Law School (#34) for lowest student loan debt — Student Loan Hero (2018, 2017)
- Best School of Law, ranked #106 — U.S. News & World Report 2019 Best Graduate Schools Guide
- #44 in the nation for employment rate (80%) — The Faculty Lounge (2016)
- Top Law School for Public Interest Law (A) and Criminal Law (B+) — preLaw Magazine, 2016
- Best Value Law School — preLaw Magazine, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2012
- #42 “Go-To” Law School — National Law Journal, 2015
- Top 25 Law School for Corporate Leadership — SEC data of publicly traded companies, independent research, 2014
- Best Law School for Employment (A-) — preLaw Magazine, 2014
2012 Excellence in Pro Bono Award (Clinical Law Program) — Super
West Virginia University
WVU Law is one of 14 colleges and schools offering 360+w bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral, and professional degree programs at West Virginia University, nationally acclaimed as one of the country’s top land grant and research universities.