A 1912 graduate of the West Virginia University College of Law, Arthur B. Hodges was a native of Upshur County. Following his graduation from law school, Hodges began practice in Charleston with the then firm of Price, Smith, Spillman & Clay. At the time of his death in 1971, he was an associate with the Charleston firm of Hodges, Dodson & Deutch. During his nearly sixty years of practice in the Charleston area, Hodges was held in great esteem by his fellow lawyers. He was noted for his sound judgment, and for the meticulous and zealous attention he gave to the affairs of his clients. Consistent with his belief in the value of intellectual attainment, he provided the single largest gift to the West Virginia University College of Law through the establishment of a large endowment for the fostering of a distinguished faculty at the law school.