Child and Family Advocacy with Medical-Legal Partnership
- Collaborated with Carlton University in Ottawa, Ontario, to help a victim of domestic
violence tell her story by obtaining court documents and photographs.
Worked with the Michigan State Indian Law Clinic to serve as local counsel for the
Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians in an appeal before the Supreme Court
of Appeals of West Virginia.
Expanded work in the medical-legal partnership to help pregnant women with potential
legal issues who are receiving treatment in the Comprehensive
Opioid Addiction Treatment program at West Virginia University Health Sciences.
Collaborated with the WVU Office of Student Conduct to help in cases where one of
the parties is not represented by counsel.
Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Collaborated with the West Virginia Securities Commission to present a workshop
to train entrepreneurs in creative options to raise money from West Virginia-based
Created model documents and information sheets for small businesses interested in
raising money using securities.
Helped 13 student-entrepreneurs register trademarks,and represented and advised over
50 student entrepreneurs on small business, tax, and IP matters.
- Represented more than two dozen individuals and families in immigration court proceedings,
USCIS applications, and ICE detention or supervision.
Two students argued an appeal in an asylum case before the U.S. Court of Appeals
for the Third Circuit.
Consulted with criminal defense counsel to provide advice on the potential immigration
consequences of guilty pleas or convictions.
Worked with groups around West Virginia to educate people about their constitutional
rights if questioned or detained by immigration authorities, and assisted clients
in asserting those rights if questioned.
Land Use and Sustainable Development
- Spearheaded a transaction for a land trust client resulting in the acquisition
of a 283-acre tract in a small southern West Virginia city; the tract is now
in public ownership, and is protected and managed as a boulder park featuring
a two-mile rock wall.
Assisted the Randolph County Commission in establishing an unsafe lands and building
Continued work on a sweeping comprehensive plan for McDowell County and 10 municipalities.
Hosted a dilapidated building summit for the Upper Kanawha Valley.
Hosted the third annual Mountain State Land Use Academy.
United States Supreme Court
- Helped win
Dawson v. Steager (129 S. Ct. 698, 2019), a tax discrimination case in which
the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously in favor of the clinic’s clients, James
and Elaine Dawson. At issue in
Dawson v. Steager was whether the State of West Virginia can impose a heavier
tax burden on federal retirees than it imposes on state retirees who performed
the same job duties.
- Secured a discharge upgrade from the VA for a U.S. Army Vietnam War veteran. Obtained
disability benefits from the VA for a U.S. Army Reserve veteran who served in
Kosovo, Iraq, and Djibouti.
- Received a $5,000 gift from the EQT Foundation.
- Received a $28,000 gift from the Michael Late Benedum Chapter of the American Association
of Professional Landmen.
West Virginia Innocence Project
- Introduced new medical evidence in a Shaken Baby Syndrome case that helped free
a man from prison.
- Overturned the conviction of a man in connection to a murder based on new DNA evidence.
- Received the John A. “Jack” Rogers Award for Outstanding Leadership in Public Service
on behalf of the state’s wrongfully convicted from the West Virginia Public Defender