Health Law Fellow
- Ph.D., Law, University of Washington
- LL.M., Health Law, University of Washington
- J.D., University of Washington
- M.A., University of California, Davis
- B.S., University of Washington
Tanya E. Karwaki is the first Health Law Fellow at WVU (2019-2021). Prior to joining WVU, she was a Research Associate and Lecturer at the University of Washington, Seattle. Her professional background includes serving as the Director of the Barer Institute for Law and Global Human Services at the University of Washington, Counsel to the Washington State Senate Health and Long-Term Care Committee, an associate at a health law firm, and a law clerk for Superior Court and the Court of Appeals in Washington State.
Karwaki's scholarly research focuses on medical tourism, mental health law, and pharmacy law. Primarily working at the intersection of law, health care, and ethics, major themes of her research include: the role of law in improving access to health care, the legal challenges created by the globalization of health care, and innovations in pharmacy law.
Tanya E. Karwaki, Thomas K. Hazlet, & Jennifer L. Wilson Norton, Professional Ethics: Lessons Learned in Developing and Testing a Methotrexate Case Study for Pharmacy Education, Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics (forthcoming).
UW School of Law, Center for Law, Science and Global Health, Volk v. DeMeerleer Study
(2017). Commissioned by Washington State Legislature, House Judiciary Committee.
Tanya E. Karwaki & Thomas K. Hazlet, A Qualitative Analysis of Student-Written Law and Ethics Cases: A Snapshot of PY2 Student Experience, 9 Currents in Pharmacy Teaching & Learning 369 (2017).
Thomas K. Hazlet, Tanya E. Karwaki, Donald F. Downing, Commentary, Pathway to Pharmacist Medical Provider Status in Washington State, 57 J. Am. Pharmacists Ass’n 116 (2017).
Tanya E. Karwaki, Redefining Medical Tourism: A Legal and Qualitative Analysis of International Medical Travel from the United States (Dissertation, 2016).
Alan H. Rosenstein, Tanya E. Karwaki, Kimberly King, Legal Entanglements in Dealing with Disruptive Physician Behaviors, Physician Leadership J., 2016.
Tanya E. Karwaki, Note & Comment, The FDA and the Biotechnology Industry: A Symbiotic Relationship?, 71 Wash. L. Rev. 821 (1996).
- Lecturer, University of Washington School of Law, 2017-2019
- Lecturer, University of Washington School of Pharmacy, 2011-2019
- Adjunct, Louisiana State University, Shreveport, 2018-present
- Research Associate, University of Washington School of Law 2017-2018
- Research Associate, University of Washington Department of Global Health Strategic Analysis, Research & Training Center, 2015-2016
- Director, University of Washington Barer Institute of Law & Global Human Services, 2012-2015