Director of Appellate Advocacy
Director of Legal Reasoning, Research, and Writing
- J.D. (Magna Cum Laude), Cornell Law School, 1982.
- B.S. (Magna Cum Laude), Dickinson College, 1977.
Professor David Krech received his B.S. in physics from Dickinson College, magna cum laude, in 1977, and his J.D. from Cornell Law School, magna cum laude, in 1982. Following graduation, he clerked for the Honorable D. Bruce Crew III, Supreme Court of the State of New York, in Elmira, New York.
Professor Krech then practiced law, as both an associate and partner, with Rapport, Meyers, Griffin & Whitbeck, a general-practice law firm in Hudson, New York. Following a move to Providence, Rhode Island, he practiced as a senior associate with Jones Associates, a boutique law firm concentrating in appellate litigation before the Rhode Island Supreme Court.
Following his 20+ years in private practice, Professor Krech began teaching at the College of Law in 2007. In 2008, Professor Krech became the Director of the Appellate Advocacy program, and in the spring of 2013 served as the Acting Director of Legal Writing.
Professor Krech has presented on legal writing and teaching at conferences of the Legal Writing Institute, the Association of Legal Writing Directors, the West Virginia Association of Justice, and the West Virginia Official Court Reporters. In addition, Professor Krech has lectured on trial and appellate courts, appellate-brief drafting, and oral argument at the College of Law’s Summer Law Institute for undergraduate students. He has also led the Summer Law Institute’s intensive week-long LSAT-preparation program.
- “Book Review: Rhode Island Zoning Handbook (Second Edition) by Roland F. Chase,” Rhode Island Bar Journal, November/December 2007.
- Senior Editor: “The Practitioner’s Guide to Appellate Advocacy” (Anne E. Lofaso, ed., 2010).
- Teaching Associate Professor, West Virginia University College of Law, 2008 – present.
- Director, Appellate Advocacy, West Virginia University College of Law, 2008 – present.
- Acting Director, Legal Writing, West Virginia University College of Law, Spring 2013.
- Visiting Lecturer, West Virginia University College of Law, 2007 – 2008.
- Jones Associates, Providence, Rhode Island.
- Associate, 1995 – 2000; Senior Associate, 2001 – 2007.
- Rapport, Meyers, Griffin & Whitbeck, Hudson, New York.
- Associate, 1986 – 1987; Partner, 1988 – 1994.
- The Honorable D. Bruce Crew III, Supreme Court of the State of New York, Elmira, New York.
- Confidential Law Clerk, 1983 – 1985.