- Duke University School of Law, J.D. (1999)
- Northwestern Univ., Medill School of Journalism, M.S. (1996)
- Northwestern Univ., Medill School of Journalism, B.S. (1996)
West Virginia Legal Research (Carolina Academic Press 2014)
Good Enough is the New Perfect: Why Modern Moms Are Aiming Lower – Yet Reaching
New Heights, with Becky Beaupre Gillespie (Harlequin Nonfiction, April
2011 nationwide release).
- National Work/Life Balance Columnist,
ABA Journal (bimonthly, starting February 2009 issue), with Becky
Beaupre Gillespie. (Links available at
- Contributing Editor, A PRACTITIONER’S GUIDE TO APPELLATE ADVOCACY (American
Bar Association publication forthcoming 2009).
Did Your Legal Writing Professor Go to Harvard?: Credentials of Legal Writing
Faculty at Hiring Time, with Susan Liemer, 46 Louisville L.J. 383 (2008-2009).
Here’s the Scoop for the Law Profs: Teach Your Student to Think Like a Journalist,
Volume 81, University of Detroit Mercy Law Review (Spring 2004)
Raining on the Litigation Parade: Is it Time to Stop Litigant Abuse of the Fraud
on the Court Doctrine?, 39 U. San Fran. L. Rev. * (Aug. 2005 publication expected).
A Telling Last Class, 20 The Second Draft (Fall 2005 publication expected).
50-State Survey: Media Privacy& Related Law. Pennsylvania Chapter. Libel
Defense Resource Center (2002-2003) (Co-author).
Free Speech, Protecting Children: Tough Choices and the Children’s Internet Protection
Act, American Bar Association Media Law and Defamation Torts Committee Newsletter
Pennsylvanians Shouldn’t Expect Privacy on the Telephone: State Supreme
Court Says Government Can Tape Without Neutral Tribunal’s OK, Libel Defense
Resource Center LibelLetter (September 2001) (with David G. Klaber) (republished
in K&L Media Law Alert, October 2001).
50-State Survey: Media Privacy & Related Law, Pennsylvania Chapter.
Libel Defense Resource Center (2001-2002) (Co-author).
- Summer Associate, Carlton Fields, P.A. (Summer, 1998)
- Associate Attorney, Kirkpatrick & Lockhart LLP (1999-2003)
- Summer Associate, Kirkpatrick & Lockhart LLP (Summer 1997)
Areas of Professional Concentration
- Applying Journalistic Research/Writing Techniques in Legal Research & Writing:
“Fraud on the Court” doctrine.
- Estate Litigation: Drafted pleadings, memoranda and briefs (trial and appellate).
Researched issues on daily basis, took and defended depositions. Wrote key briefs
in 100M+ trust suit, made presentation to firmwide estates and trusts practice
group regarding case. Represented major Pittsburgh foundation in will contest,
successfully argued case before the Orphans’ Court and the Superior Court of
- Estate Planning/Corporate: Guided clients through complete estate planning process,
including tax and business succession planning. Drafted wills, trusts, limited
partnership agreements, grantor retained annuity trusts. Assisted clients in
creating private charitable foundations. Assisted partner in preparing speech
on Pennsylvania partnerships, including recent changes to the Business Corporation
- Media Law: Advised clients regarding potential defamation claims. Selected to attend
national Communications Law Conference in New York City, Fall 2001. Reported
to firmwide practice group regarding conference.
- Tax Litigation: Represented commercial and residential clients in property tax
assessment appeals, Including assuming lead writing position in class-action
suit challenging millage rates established by local governments.
- Pro Bono Litigation: Assisted pro bono clients in obtaining Protection From Abuse